Yesterday we began a new morning routine.
Loki typically gets training, a walk (1/4-1/2 mile), and puppy play with his grandmas dog everyday. However, with his lacking in sleep, I decided that instead of one long walk he needed smaller, more frequent, doses of exercise.
It’s only day two and I’ve noticed an improvement.
His new routine:
- Morning bonding on the bed with mom. 🙂
- Moms starts up her coffee and we go outside to play fetch with a Chuck It while it brews. I get to learn to “recall,” “drop it” and “say please (sit)” while we play.
- While mom drinks a cup of coffee, I get to have breakfast in my kennel and let it settle before we do more fun stuff.
- Now, we get to go for a walk! Mom brings lots of treats for when we pass dogs in yards and people walking/biking.
- When we get home, I get to nap while mom takes care of human stuff like eating breakfast.
- I get to practice my training before lunch. Right now we work on targeting, sit, and down.
- When mom does stuff around the house, runs errands, or is on the computer, I get to have a frozen Kong in my kennel, then I have lunch.
- I get to practice more training and play fetch again before dad gets home.
- At the end of the day, I sometimes get another walk after fetch, practice more training with dad, and get dinner in a large Kong treat toy.
I’m pretty lucky to have mom home with me all day!
Loki has been napping more and I’m sure he will feel less vigilant as a result. The Gentle Leader has made walking more enjoyable for both of us which, makes our mornings so much nicer. I look forward to teaching him to walk nice in a collar, but for now, we’ve got bigger fish to fry.
Update: my furry kid is not just napping, he’s been asleep for almost an hour. Success!